Friday, November 10, 2006

What should I do next year?

So lately I have been pondering my future. That is a dangerous place to go! I am telling you it causes so much stress to try and figure out what you should do once one chapter in life is finished. Ok... so here is the deal... next year I will have one semester of classes and one semester of preceptorship (or like an internship). Now, I first have to figure out where I will live fall semester. I really want to get off campus but since I would only be living in LaCrosse for 3 months I would have to sublease an apartment in the spring. This would make me super nervous since who ever I sub-leased to could totally trash the place and leave me to pay :( So, then I thought, I could try and live with one of my family members that live down this way. My grandparents, an Aunt and Uncle, and my mom's cousin all live down here, but I kind of wonder if they would be annoyed if I stayed with them. Then the last option I thought of was staying in Rochester and commuting. Next semester, spring, I will only have classes on Tuesday and Thursday, and if I could pull that off for next year it wouldn't be bad to drive down here just two days a week. Then, I would try to find an apartment in Rochester because I plan on doing my preceptorship at Mayo in the Spring. However, it really wouldn't be expanding my experiences in life. But then again, I would be going to Ireland in the Summer which would be a good step towards independence. I don't know... it is all so confusing. If I talk to people my own age they say get away from Rochester and push yourself. But, when I talk to most adults about this situation they say it is ok to stay close to home and keep in touch with family. My Grandma Larson made it especially clear that she wants me to stay in the area. Which I can understand since all of her grandkids are pretty far away... and a couple of them don't keep in touch which makes her a bit "testy". Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated and taken into consideration. I really do love my family a lot and want to keep in touch, but I don't want to be the person who didn't reach her potential because she wanted to stay with what is comfortable. Ahhh... getting old stinks! I hate being responsible!

3 comments:

Susan K. said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with staying where you are comfortable. You'll have to get out into the world eventually, and when that day comes you can deal with it. Of course, this is the opinion of an easy going gal.

I'm probably not going to get my own apartment until I go to graduate school, because I like living in campus housing.

But if the opportunity presents itself, you should think about it. Really, it's a question of what you want to do.

And I like Rochester too. ;)

Cookie Queen said...

Hey Sue! Thanks for the comment... I like your opinion on the whole thing ;) Yesterday, a friend in my major asked me if I wanted to stay with her fall semester in campus housing... which kind of makes my life easier!! I will probably live in the new campus apartments with her and a couple other girls! I love when answers come out of the blue like that! :)

Susan K. said...

Sounds like a great setup!

I figure, we will have plenty of opportunity in this life to provide our own housing and deal with apartments, so while we still have the opportunity to live in places like dorms and campus houses/apartments, we might as well. Plus, they provide a good experience too.