Monday, November 20, 2006

Lefse and Passing Out

Well, I had a very interesting weekend! I went home Thursday night after work. The drive was pretty quiet... but really dark for not being that late. I am not a big fan of night driving but luckily I didn't come upon any deer or other wild animals :) Earlier in the week I had made an appointment to get some vaccines, the flu and HPV shot, and when I got there they suggested I also get the Tetnus/Pertussis/Diptheria shot. Since I was there I thought I might as well just get them all done. A tiny mistake in my judgement. I got my first two without much pain or worry, but the third and final one hurt quite a bit more and seemed to make me a little more anxious so of course I passed out :( Just for a few seconds, but still long enough to feel like crap and worry the nurse. So, since I drove myself they didn't think I should drive for awhile and I ended up just waiting around for a long time. Saturday I had much more fun things to do. I had a lefse and krumkaka lesson. Both of these things are desserts from Norway! In the morning my mom and I peeled 20 lbs of potatos! That is a whole lot of spuds! Then around noon our "teachers" came and we made all the lefse and krumkaka. We weren't finished until 5pm but it turned out great! It was so much fun and I hope we make it an annual event. For those of you who don't know what lefse it is, it is basically potato pancakes. It requires a big griddle and a special rolling pin and stick thing to pick it up. The krumkaka is like a cookie you make on an iron and roll around a dowl right after you get them off the iron so they are in a tube shape. I am going to bring some of each to Thanksgiving because we are going to my Dad's side which is the side that is Norwegian. I am sure they will be excited! Well, I had better be going. Have a great Thanksgiving too!

6 comments:

Susan K. said...

Mmm... lefse is so yummy. I don't think I've ever had krumkaka.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Abby, you pass out more than anyone I know! Have you ever considered wearing a helmet?

Betsi said...

I love krumkake! I have my own iron and everything! If it didn't sound so patently ridiculous, I would suggest a krumkake party. I will suggest it anyway. KRUMKAKE PARTY.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lefse! It was delicious. Breakfast was great too. :)
A krumkake party sounds good to me. Maybe we can combine that with a Firefly marathon?

Cookie Queen said...

Yeah!! Krumkake party!! We should do it over winter break when everyone is free! Mara... the helmet idea is a good idea... I would look pretty silly though :)

Susan K. said...

I agree! Krumkaka/Firefly party!