Friday, June 06, 2008

Life is way too complicated

So, I am in a real predicament. What the heck am I suppose to do? Here is the deal. I am working at Mayo as a clinical assistant part-time... .5 FTE. About two weeks ago a health department job was posted for a grant funded position that is a 1 year provisional position. I am familiar with the grant because I worked with the individual who use to be in charge of the grant during my internship. So, should I apply for the position even though it is provisional? The pay is much better and it is full time... but leaving Mayo after 3 weeks of training may tarnish my name and make it difficult to get hired at Mayo in the future. I talked to my supervisor/mentor from the internship who is also supervisor of this particular position and she really encouraged me to apply. I ended up applying but I really don't know what I should do if they call for an interview. I would be making 3 times what I am making at the clinic and it would have to do with my degree. However, I have been contemplating returning to school to get my masters because Mayo will provide tuition assistance... $7200 a year for graduate school. Maybe the part-time position is suppose to give me the opportunity to do that. I really hadn't planned on going back to school, but it would give me more opportunity and possibly higher pay (not that that is my ultimate goal). This has really been stressing me out.

And then I think about it and it really isn't that bad of a thing to be agonizing about... in fact I shouldn't be because there are so many other people encountering much more difficult situations. All my co-workers seem to have such difficult lives. Children to support, bills to pay, medical problems, divorce... I really should keep my trap shut and be happy with my life. I have a job, a home, supportive family and friends. My life is pretty darn good. Slap me if I ever complain!

3 comments:

Hermitude said...

That sounds like a big choice. I guess if it comes down to it, you can weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each. Other than better pay, does the internship have other benefits? Is it something you're really interested in?
It seems like if you want/need to go back to school, the Mayo job is a much better choice. And having a Mayo Clinic job on your resume doesn't hurt.

Mary said...

In the long run, would you be sad if you passed up this provisional job? It sounds like something you might not have the opportunity to do again in the future, and it also sounds like you have good connections for that job.

If you are worried that you might not be able to go back to school again if you don't stay at mayo, keep in mind there are always loans you can apply for and in the long run having to pay back full tuition (instead of having it reimbursed by your place of employment) could be worth the risk.

Of course, if Mayo is in your long term career plans, maybe it would be worth it to just stick with the job you have for the time being. :)

Mary said...

Heheh. Not that my advice is worth much anyway, because you posted that entry almost 2 months ago and have probably already made your decision anyway. :) I hope you are happy with what ended up happening!